Portrait of Marcos Figueroa, Access Services Specialist

Meet Your Lane Library Staff: Marcos Figueroa

Every month, we are spotlighting an amazing member of our library staff. This month meet Marcos Figueroa, one of our Access Services Specialists.

What do you do at the library?

I have worked or helped in just about every department of the library. My current position is in the Access Services department, which handles circulation. As part of my role, I am now working onsite at Lane Library on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays. On those days, I am focusing on borrowing/scan-on-demand training to help with the demand for DocXpress and Document Delivery Services.  I am also handling the SAL3 delivery and the pickup service, which involves processing the requests for print library materials for contactless pick up during our building closure. My most recent accomplishment is the completion of a project to clear out our Newark Storage collection. The project involved weeding out half of the books of a 12,000-book collection; half of the collection was sent to our storage facility in Livermore (SAL3) and the other half was deemed less-used by our patrons and will be donated to the Internet Archives.

What do you like best about the people who use Lane Library?

Our patrons are very polite, interesting, and, overall, very smart.

What is the most rewarding (or favorite) part of your job?

The most rewarding part of my job is when I help a patron out and see how they walk out satisfied at the end of the day. Who knows, maybe I was the last link in finding a cure for something or I was the last link to help a patient…

How long have you worked at Lane?

Going on to 34 years; I started as a part-time student assistant right out high school back in 1986.

What do you do in your spare time?

​I like to work on my back yard at home, play pool, and other outdoor activities.

Do you prefer…

Coffee or tea? Definitely COFFEE

Cats or dogs? Dogs

Candy or cake? Due to my diabetes, neither; but, sometimes, I prefer cake

Salty or sweet? Something in between 

Print or digital books? Old fashion guy here, so I prefer print books

Nonfiction or fiction? Either one

Summer or winter? Again, I am an outdoors person so definitely Summer