Meet Your Lane Library Staff: Youping Li

Portrait of Youping Li, Course Reserve Coordinator with text: "Every week this October, meet the people who make the Library work!"

For National Medical Librarians Month, we are spotlighting a few of the amazing members of our library staff. This week meet Youping Li, our Course Reserve Coordinator.

What do you do at the library?

My title at Lane Library is Course Reserves Coordinator. In this role, I help professors make library resources available to their students, both in print and electronic formats. My other duties are to receive and process faculty requests and add or remove materials to our reserve collection. During Covid-19, I emailed professors first to confirm their course reserves books and requested digital books for their students. I created electronic records to build the reserve collection database on our library website.

Right now, I am also learning how to catalog digital books and I like it very much.

What do you like best about the people who use Lane Library?

I know so many medical school professors like Dr. Daniel Kapp who use Lane Library. My job requires me to communicate with medical school professors daily. I enjoy working with professors and med students. 

What is the most rewarding (or favorite) part of your job?

I like helping a person who really needs it. I answer people’s questions, not only through Lane Library Ask- Us form, chat, and phone, but I also communicate directly with people who use the library.

I am happy to learn more about library skills such as creating electronic records for the materials in our library collection. It is fun to find a record that I created for a digital book on the Lane Library website.

What do you do in your spare time?

I enjoy watching movies and reading books, exercising, and shopping. My favorite movies include “Family” and “Never look away.” I recently finished the book “Steve Jobs” by Walter Isaacson.  Also, I have been exercising during the pandemic and I have lost 15 lbs so far.  

Do you prefer…

Coffee or tea? Tea

Cats or dogs? Dogs

Candy or cake? Candy

Salty or sweet? Sweet

Print or digital books? Digital books

Nonfiction or fiction? Nonfiction

Summer or winter? Summer