American Hospital Association’s Annual Survey and supplemental data sets
Data in the American Hospital Association’s (AHA) annual survey database is updated annually, usually in December. In addition to annual survey data, the AHA database includes supplemental datasets and provides quality data with extensive coverage of US hospitals and health systems. Coverage includes demographic, operations, financial, and IT characteristics.
AHA datasets can be used to research COVID-19 preparedness by viewing data on beds, ICU beds, and telehealth practices and to learn about other U.S. hospitals by accessing a list of hospitals and their classification variables, size, volume, financials, and proportion of care from Medicare/Medicaid. The data sets also provide insight into pay structure and ownership arrangements, partnerships with insurance entities, health plans, and bundled payments. Use the data to analyze social determinants of health such as diabetes prevention programs, meal delivery services, and remote patient monitoring programs.
In 2021, in response to COVID-19, the telehealth and behavioral health sections were expanded and a new section was added on data related to hospital services that meet socioeconomic needs such as food insecurity and transportation. Other COVID-related data available includes bed changes, isolation rooms, temporary spaces, ventilators, and emergency departments.
AHA data sets include:
- Demographic, operational, staffing, insurance, and utilization data from over 6,200 hospitals
- AHA Annual Survey Database (ASDB) data from 2005 to the most recent year plus historical survey data going back to 1980
- AHA IT Healthcare Database data on health IT adoption, tools, and trends for over 3,300 hospitals
- ASDB with Financial Data which is sourced from the Healthcare Provider Cost Reporting Information System (HCRIS) managed by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS)
Information in the AHA data sets can be used to answer questions such as:
- How many physicians and nurses does a hospital have?
- Which hospitals provide cardiovascular care facilities?
- What were the total Medicare and Medicaid discharges?
See how AHA data can be used in research by running a search in PubMed. One example of a search is: “AHA Annual Survey” AND 2022[dp]
Access AHA data sets through the Graduate School of Business Library’s website where you can register for a WRDS account. It can take 1-2 business days to activate a new account. Please note that two-factor authentication by Duo is now required to log in to WRDS accounts. You will be prompted to enroll in WRDS 2FA by Duo upon logging in to WRDS.
Contact us if you have any questions or need assistance with accessing AHA data sets through WRDS.