Photograph of Sam Wilairat in a circular frame with orange, yellow, and green decorative circles behind the photo on a teal background

Meet Your Lane Library Staff: Sam Wilairat

Every month, we are spotlighting an amazing member of our library staff. This month meet Sam Wilairat, Research Communications Librarian.

What do you do at the library?

I am a part of the Research and Instruction team, so I teach classes, plan events, answer reference questions, help with literature searches, and provide services related to research impact and copyright. I am also a liaison for several departments. 

What did you do before coming to Lane Library?

Before coming to Lane Library, I was an Associate Fellow at the National Library of Medicine. I worked on projects for ClinicalTrials.gov, the Division of Extramural Programs, and the Office of Engagement and Training. 

What are you most excited about in your new role?

I’m most excited about collaborating with people both inside and outside Lane Library. I hope my work can help the Stanford Medicine community navigate the ever-changing scholarly communication landscape. I also look forward to building relationships with colleagues in my liaison areas. 

How long have you worked at Lane?

I’ve worked at Lane for about a month! 

What do you do in your spare time?

In my spare time, I do a lot of hiking. My partner, my dog, and I are working on circumnavigating the Bay Area Ridge Trail. We started in January 2021 and so far we have completed over 125 miles. When I’m not hiking, I’m crafting or testing out a new recipe. 

Do you prefer . . .

Coffee or tea? I prefer coffee in the morning, and tea in the afternoon. Boba is always a special treat!

Cats or dogs? Definitely dogs. My Australian Cattle Dog Mix, Nala, is my constant companion. 

Candy or cake? Either one as long as chocolate is involved. 

Salty or sweet? Sweet. I love baking sweets mostly because of the taste testing.

Print or digital books? Print books. Digital is useful for traveling, but I love having a physical book to page through.

Nonfiction or fiction? Over the past several years, fiction. I’ve greatly appreciated the escapism that a good fiction book offers.

Summer or winter? Summer. Longer days means more time outside!