Photograph of Thea Allen in a circular frame with orange, yellow, and green decorative circles behind the photo on a teal background

Meet Your Lane Library Staff: Thea Allen

Every month, we are spotlighting an amazing member of our library staff. This month meet Thea Allen, Director of Resource Management.

What do you do at the library?

I am the Director of the Resource Management (RM) department and my primary job is to make sure that everyone in my department is supported, represented, and able to do their jobs successfully. I work on long-term planning as well as short-term solutions related to the work of staff in the RM department. My focus for the next couple of years is on a large system migration that involves data cleanup, mapping, migration, workflow analysis, and training.

What do you like best about the people who use Lane Library?

I admire how driven, successful, and diverse the users of Lane Library are. I also appreciate how willing and open users are about suggesting new resources to add to our collection, as well as sharing copies of their own publications with us.

What is the most rewarding (or favorite) part of your job?

My favorite part of my job is when my team members excel and succeed. I’m especially rewarded and proud when my team comes together to work on issues and supports each other, or, when an individual pushes themselves to try something outside of their comfort zone. I love that we have a work environment that promotes individual and team growth.

How long have you worked at Lane?

Almost nine years! My longest stay at any library in my career.

What do you do in your spare time?

I spend most of my spare time with my partner and our dog, Albert. I also enjoy trying out new vegan and vegetarian recipes, listening to music, reading, working on cross-stitch patterns, brunch!, beach trips, traveling, swimming, and being around plants and nature.

Do you prefer . . .

Coffee or tea? Coffee

Cats or dogs? Dogs (goats are a close second)

Candy or cake? Candy (especially if sea salt or peanut butter are key ingredients)

Salty or sweet? Salty

Print or digital books? Both

Nonfiction or fiction? Fiction

Summer or winter? Winter (I love wrapping up in layers and blankets)