The American Hospital Association (AHA) released a new data set in December 2021 which includes results from their 2020 annual survey of hospitals and health systems. Lane Library’s subscription to American Hospital Association data sets provides access to data sets covering the demographic, operational, financial, and IT characteristics of U.S. hospitals and includes topics such as research trends and COVID-19.
New AHA Data Sets Available–Including Data in Response to COVID-19
Use AHA data sets to research COVID-19 preparedness by viewing data on beds, ICU beds, and telehealth practices. Learn about other U.S. hospitals by accessing a list of hospitals and their classification variables, size, volume, financials, and proportion of care from Medicare/Medicaid. The data sets also provide insight on pay structure and ownership arrangements, partnerships with insurance entities, health plans, and bundled payments. Use the data to analyze social determinants of health such as diabetes prevention programs, meal delivery services, and remote patient monitoring programs.
This year, in response to COVID-19, the telehealth and behavioral health sections were expanded and a new section was added on data related to hospital services that meet socioeconomic needs such as food insecurity and transportation. Other COVID-related data available this year includes bed changes, isolation rooms, temporary spaces, ventilators, and emergency departments.
AHA data sets include:
- Demographic, operational, staffing, insurance, and utilization data from over 6,000 hospitals
- AHA Annual Survey data for 13 years up to 2020, historical survey data going back to 1980
- AHA Survey IT Supplement provides data on healthcare IT indicators for 3,500 hospitals
- Financial Database provides data sourced from the Healthcare Provider Cost Reporting Information System
Information in the AHA data sets can be used to answer questions such as:
- How many physicians and nurses does a hospital have?
- Which hospitals provide cardiovascular care facilities?
- What were the total Medicare and Medicaid discharges?
See how AHA data can be used in research by running a search in PubMed. One example of a search is: “AHA Annual Survey” AND 2020[dp]