Photo of Sonam Soni, Resource Management Librarian

Meet Your Lane Library Staff: Sonam Soni

Every month, we are spotlighting an amazing member of our library staff. This month meet Sonam Soni, Resource Management Librarian.

What do you do at the library?

I’m a resource management librarian which means I’m involved in the acquisition and cataloging of resources. This means I buy resources, pay invoices, and create/edit catalog records to help our users locate and access what they are looking for. I’m also the liaison librarian for the pharmacy and biochemistry departments and I’m on the library’s marketing and communications team.

What do you like best about the people who use Lane Library?

Our user community is so engaged in their learning and work! I’m in awe of their accomplishments and find it inspiring. And to top it off, they are so nice and a joy to work with.

What is the most rewarding (or favorite) part of your job?

My colleagues are fantastic. They have been generous with their time and knowledge and I enjoy working with them. I also love it when I can connect people to what they are seeking! Sometimes it takes a bit of detective work to do that, but I’m always up for a challenge.

How long have you worked at Lane?

I’ve been at Lane Library for three years. Prior to being a librarian, I was a pharmacist and worked at Stanford for some of that time.

What do you do in your spare time?

I miss my pre-Covid workouts but I’ve discovered online Zumba and Les MIlls classes and try to do a few classes a week. I also enjoy reading, experimenting with new vegan recipes, gardening in my community plot, and hanging out with my dog.

Do you prefer…

Coffee or tea? Tea, preferably iced.

Cats or dogs? Dogs

Candy or cake? Cake. I’m always looking for a good vegan cake recipe.

Salty or sweet? Sweet

Print or digital books? Definitely print!

Nonfiction or fiction? Fiction but I’m trying to add more nonfiction titles to my reading list

Summer or winter? Summer. I like the longer days.