Meet Your Lane Library Staff: Lily Ren

Every month, we are spotlighting an amazing member of our library staff. This month meet Lily Ren, our Research Communications Librarian.

What do you do at the library? 

As the Research Communications Librarian, my work focuses on promoting and supporting communication about research accomplishments and activities at Stanford. I help students, staff, researchers, and faculty understand, measure and maximize the impact of their work. I am also the department liaison for Cardiovascular Medicine, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Ophthalmology and among others. As part of the library team, I assist with literature searching, teaching classes, addressing reference questions, and other behind the scenes librarian activities.

What do you like best about the people who use Lane Library? 

At Lane, we meet and work with users with a wide range of backgrounds and research interests. I really appreciate that users take the time to explain their research needs, and recognize and respect the work we do. When I am asked to collaborate or be a part of a research team, the teams are most welcoming and easy to work with!

What is the most rewarding (or favorite) part of your job? 

The most rewarding aspect of the job is hearing about the impact that users have benefited from Lane’s resources, classes, consultations, and other services. Whether it’s immediate or long-term, it’s gratifying to collaborate with others to problem-solve and improve overall health and wellbeing. And I always find it interesting to learn about innovative and unique projects others are working on.

How long have you worked at Lane? 

Relatively new to the team, I joined Lane in January 2020.

What do you do in your spare time? 

When I am not working, I am busy being a PhD student and working on my doctoral research. In my spare time, I enjoy running, hiking and generally being outdoors in nature. My next running goal is to finish a 10km.

Do you prefer… 

Coffee or tea? Coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon

Cats or dogs? Both!

Candy or cake? Candy

Salty or sweet? Sweet

Print or digital books? E-books when travelling, other times print

Nonfiction or fiction? Nonfiction

Summer or winter? Summer