Photo of Nicole Chiodo Soares, Privileges Specialist

Meet Your Lane Library Staff: Nicole Chiodo Soares

Every month, we are spotlighting an amazing member of our library staff. This month meet Nicole Chiodo Soares, Privileges Specialist.

What do you do at the library?

I work in Access Services, and I am the library’s Privileges Specialist and the liaison for Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.

Access Services staff are the friendly faces you see at the desk when you walk into the library. We also answer your phone calls, respond to many of your questions submitted through our “Contact Us” form, and we’re the real live humans behind Lane Library’s Live Chat service.

As the library’s Privileges Specialist, I’m the go-to person for any questions regarding your Lane Library privileges (borrowing, access to our online resources, etc.). If you’ve had problems logging in to Lane Library’s online resources, there’s a good chance you’ve seen my name before!

What do you like best about the people who use Lane Library?

I love how dedicated everyone is to furthering the mission of Stanford Medicine and biomedical research in general.

What is the most rewarding (or favorite) part of your job?

I love connecting people to the information they need. Whether I’m helping someone troubleshoot their login or helping someone find just the right resource, it’s a great feeling knowing that I’m helping my colleagues at Stanford do their best.

How long have you worked at Lane?

As of January, I’ve been here 8 years.

What do you do in your spare time?

Pre-Covid, I enjoyed traveling with my husband, Danny. Some highlights were our honeymoon trip to Italy and our Portugal trip. Among the places we’ve been in California, we’ve taken a road trip through the Northern California redwoods, spent some time in Napa, visited Sonoma, and a perennial favorite of mine – made a few trips to Disneyland. We miss traveling and hope to return to it once the pandemic eases up!

Since Covid, it’s been all about indoor hobbies. In stereotypical librarian fashion, I love to read. I’ve also been streaming entirely too many movies and TV shows. I love all things Disney, Marvel, and Star Wars, and thankfully, my husband shares a lot of my geekdoms, so in our house there is a lot of geeking out over things like the Loki series or The Mandalorian. Since I have a Marvel Unlimited subscription, occasionally I’ll go on a comics binge, like when the Hawkeye series was released and I wanted to read the Matt Fraction run that inspired it.

Do you prefer . . .

Coffee or tea? Coffee

Cats or dogs? Both! If it’s cute, furry, and has four legs, I’m a fan.

Candy or cake? It depends on my mood. I’m always in the mood for Snickers bar though!

Salty or sweet? Gosh, so many difficult choices! This one depends on my mood too. Lately I’ve been gravitating towards salty.

Print or digital books? If I have to pick one, I choose print. But if you see someone walking around the School of Medicine with her head in a Kindle Paperwhite, that’s probably me! I hate to go anywhere without a book, and my Kindle lets me have a library at my fingertips!

Nonfiction or fiction? Both! I love to read!

Summer or winter? Summer. It’s hard not to favor summer when you have a summer birthday.