Lane Medical Library stands in solidarity and support with all who protest injustice, inequity, and oppression.
Resources on Antiracism and Health
In an effort to create awareness for health disparities and minority health issues, our Multicultural Health subject guide provides a curated collection of information resources. You can also visit the Black Lives Matter Resources website developed by the Office of Faculty Development and Diversity in the School of Medicine for additional resources on anti-racist education, donation, activism, and self-care.
Here is a brief list of suggested resources from our collection on antiracism in a health context.
- Algorithms of oppression: how search engines reinforce racism by Safiya Umoja Noble (2018)
- Assessing race, ethnicity, and gender in health by Sana Loue (2006)
- Framing the dialogue on race and ethnicity to advance health equity: proceedings of a workshop by Darla Thompson, rapporteur; Roundtable on Population Health Improvement, Board on Population Health and Public Health Practice, Health and Medicine Division, the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, Medicine (2016)
- Just medicine: a cure for racial inequality in American health care by Dayna Bowen Matthew (2015)
- Medical Bondage: Race, Gender, and the Origins of American Gynecology by Cooper Owens, Deirdre Benia (2017)
- Medicine unbundled: a journey through the minefields of indigenous health care by Gary Geddes (2017)
- Migration, ethnicity, race, and health in multicultural societies by Raj S. Bhopal (2014)
Black Lives Matter and Health:
- Black and blue: the origins and consequences of medical racism by John M. Hoberman (2012)
- Blacks in medicine: clinical, demographic, and socioeconomic correlations by Richard Allen Williams (2020)
- Black man in a white coat: a doctor’s reflections on race and medicine by Damon Tweedy, M.D (2015)
- Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans from Colonial Times to the Present by Harriet A. Washington (2008)
- Race, work, and leadership new perspectives on the black experience edited by Laura Morgan Roberts, Anthony J. Mayo, David Thomas (2019)
- Reproductive Injustice: Racism, Pregnancy, and Premature Birth by Dána-Ain Davis (2019)
- Black mental health: patients, providers, and systems edited by Ezra E. H. Griffith, Billy E. Jones, Altha J. Stewart (2019)
- Black women’s mental health: balancing strength and vulnerability edited by Stephanie Y. Evans, Kanika Bell, and Nsenga K. Burton (2017)
- Handbook of race and development in mental health edited by Edward C. Chang, Christina A. Downey (2012)
- Racism and Psychiatry: contemporary issues and interventions edited by Morgan M. Medlock, Derri Shtasel, Nhi-Ha T. Trinh, David R. Williams (2019)
- Cultural diversity & ethnic minority psychology
- Journal of transcultural nursing
- Journal of health disparities research and practice
- Transcultural psychiatry
Also, here are the departments at Stanford University providing support on this topic:
- Stanford Diversity and Access Department
- Stanford Center on Poverty and Inequality
- Diversity at Stanford Medicine
To suggest more titles on this topic, please contact us or comment below.